So many people shy away from traveling because they don’t have a travel companion. Singles, divorcees and widows should not shy away from travel, they should embrace it!
Travel is a wonderful way to meet people, experience and learn new things about yourself and the world around you. A wonderful client (they are all wonderful) just emailed me an article about the 10 Best Cruise Lines for solo travelers. Cruises and land tours are wonderful for solo travelers — you can be alone when you want and you can join the crowd when you want to — it’s all up to you, as it should be, since it is your vacation.
Here’s a summary of the Top 10 and then I’ll follow with my comments/suggestions:
1. P&O Azura: 18 single cabins for solo cruisers with a boutiqaue hotel style, complimentary water and pamper pack.. Cabins are priced for one, no single supplement but sell out quickly.
2. NCL Epic: 128 studio cabins. All inside cabins that look out on to the corridor and a social space called the Studio Lounge.
3. Holland America: Has a roomate matching service, programs for solo guests, cocktail mixers, gentleman hosts for dancing, single supplement is 140-200%.
4. Silversea: Smaller ships, singles pay 25-75% above the double occupancy rate and have alot of enrichment programs, plus cocktail reception for solos, with a lot of price discounts.
5. Crystal:very popular luxury line for solos, single’s parties, gentelman hosts and single supplement is often 25% abaove plus table for 8 lets solos dine at specialty restaurants with other singles, alot of enrichment.
6. Fred Olsen: Caters to over 50 set, sedate atmosphere, solo cabins but discounts are rate.
7. Seabourn: Cozy atmosphere, smaller ships, has officers and entertainment staffers host tables at dinners every nite, single supplement is 50%.
8. Costa: Has single cabins on most of their shipsm has meet and greet parties, lots of dance classes, single supplement is about 30%.
9. Hurtigruten: Ships are unique, relaxed ambience, part of the Norwegian transportation system, 10% supplement.
10. Cunard: Very convivial atmosphere, solos assigned to other solos for dinner, gentlemen hosts available for dancing, a lot of activities and enrichment.
My comments: It’s wonderful that some lines have solo cabins that do not charge any supplement; other lines have a very fair single supplement (50% or less). It’s great when there are meet and greet and cocktail parties to help people socialize. I love to dance so I think having a gentleman host is wonderful! And many of these cruises have a lot of enrichment activities, which is great and always a lot of fun.
I’d love to hear what you think. Have you ever traveled solo? How was the experience?